The Best Silicone Bong: Shatter-Proof, Potent, & Easy to Clean
The best silicone bong packs a punch. Engineered from medical caliber materials for extra durability, the iconic Hydroponique silicone water pipe is the best in class when it comes to potent, flavorful hits. It's not just another pretty face, either. The best silicone bong is wicked easy to clean; just throw it in the dishwasher or wash it by hand (instructions further down). Hydroponique's thoughtful design also includes a suction base for that friend who drops everything, a peace sign ice catcher, and the perfectly angled tube for effortless hits — all made from soft, stretchy silicone.
5 Reasons Why It's the Best Silicone Bong
- Dishwasher-Safe: How do you clean a bong, silicone, or otherwise? With Hydroponique, it's effortless. Just pop it in the dishwasher for an effortless clean without worrying about damage.
- Durability: Hydroponique is really, really tough to break. Drop your silicone bong (not the glass bowl, of course) and watch it bounce, not shatter. It's high time you stop worrying about your friends breaking your favorite piece.
- USA-Made: That means zero mystery additives and honest working conditions.
- Ice Catcher: We are all about putting ice in this bad boy. That's why we decided to include a peace sign with literally every Hydroponique.
- Medical-Grade Silicone: We nerd out on quality, whether we're talking about our favorite herb or the materials we use to make our silicone water pipe.
Why Is a Silicone Bong Better Than Plastic?
Silicone is not plastic. More specifically, it's a chain of silicon — a very common metalloid that is the world's second-most abundant element in the Earth's crust — and other elements like oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon. But why is a silicone bong better for you than plastic? So glad you asked. Here are a few things that set Hydroponique apart from a cheap plastic bong.
- Strength: The best silicone bong will last a really, really long time, unlike a low-grade plastic alternative. It also won't break when you drop it.
- Health: It can withstand a tremendous amount of heat, meaning that it can withstand dishwasher cleaning and won't melt, unlike a plastic water pipe. By contrast, plastic is not safe to heat because it may leech out chemicals that can lead to health complications, such as infertility according to Harvard Health Publishing. Big yikes.
- Sustainability: Ever heard of microplastics? That's when a plastic bag, water bottle, or other plastic consumable breaks into minuscule particles that leech into our water and affect all species on the planet including people. Silicone resists sun and sea degradation, so it doesn't do that.
This silicone bong is better for your health, your wallet, and our planet. Plus, you don't have to worry about damaging it while cleaning thanks to its resilient design.
5 Reasons Why Bongs Rock
Otherwise known as a water pipe or bubbler, a bong is a tool used to smoke all kinds of herb. They can come in all shapes and sizes and be made from a variety of materials, including plastic, glass, ceramic, and silicone. The goal of a water pipe is always the same: burn, filter, cool, and smoke dry herb. Here are a few advantages of using a silicone bong compared to other smoking accessories:
- Cleanliness: Water pipes are known to deliver a smoother, cooler, and easier hit. This is partially due to their size and the fact that they don't require rolling papers. It also means that a silicone bong is less hot than a joint or one-hitter.
- Ease: People have been smoking from versions of the water pipe throughout human history. In other words, it's easy to fill a silicone bong with water, pack a bowl of your favorite weed strain, light it, and remove the bowl from the stem. No rolling, no need to repack every other hit. Hydroponique is also dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- Power: Anyone who has taken a hit from Hydroponique can attest that it delivers a powerful hit with lasting impact. Brace yourself and enjoy the ride.
- Temperature: It won't overheat your herb, reducing its flavor, and diminishing your overall experience. Any seasoned smoker knows that knowing how to use a bong means cooling it. Hydroponique even includes an ice catcher.
- Planet: Using plastic vape cartridges isn't great for your health or the planet. The right bong will last you a lifetime.
How We Built the Best Silicone Bong
There are so many things to love about Hydroponique, starting with it's name. For one, it's the only silicone water pipe made in the US. that we know of. Here are some of our other favorite things about this game-changing smoking accessory.
A Silicone Bong That's Easy to Clean
Say goodbye to smelly bongs for good with Hydroponique. Simply remove the ice catcher and glass and put it in the dishwasher for an easy and safe clean. Don't have a dishwasher? No worries. Follow this step-by-step guide to learn how to clean a bong whether it's made from silicone or glass.
A Water Pipe Designed with Your Health and Herb In Mind
Hydroponique is made from 100% medical-grade silicone in the United States. We believe in keeping plastics, BPA, chemicals, and toxins as far away from you and your herb as possible. We also believe in full material transparency, which you'll be hard-pressed to find with any other company. Have a question about our materials and practices? Email us and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.
The Best Silicone Bong Packs a Punch
No one likes a wimpy hit. That's why we've engineered Hydroponique to be very strong—so be careful. We strongly encourage you to try some ice with your herb for a blast of cool refreshment.
This Silicone Bong Has a Suctions Base
Take your hits care-free knowing that your water pipe will automatically suction to a flat surface. This doesn't mean that it's impossible to tip it over, just that it's very unlikely that you will pour bong water everywhere by accident. When you want to remove your Hydroponique, break the suction on one side of the base rather than lifting from the top.
Take a Hit from the Best Angle
Having your hair catch on fire is no-joke for long-haired smokers. That's why our female engineer designed this silicone bong at the perfect angle to minimize the chances of singed strands. It also makes tipping your water pipe over much more difficult.
Ice Catcher Included with this Silicone Bong
Everyone should try an ice bong, a design that includes an ice catcher. It makes any smoke session that much more relaxing. That's why we included our peace sign shaped ice catcher with every Hydroponique. Relax, enjoy, and breathe deeply.
The Best Silicone Bong Is Made in the U.S.A.
Our goal was pure and simple: Make the best silicone bong. That entails using high-quality materials and fair manufacturing practices. If you don't love Hydroponique as much as we do, email us. We offer free returns within 30 days as long as the water pipe has not been used.
How to Use a Silicone Bong (Hint: It's Just Like Glass)
Using Hydroponique is no different than a glass pipe—except, of course, that it's made from soft, squishy silicone. In other words, knowing how to use a silicone bong requires only a few easy steps. It's a great option for smoking outside, at a party, in a hotbox, or just about anywhere, really.
6 Silicone Water Pipe Components
First things first: It's important to know the different parts of a water pipe. Hydroponique can be divided into the six elements pictured here:
- Mouthpiece: Where you put your mouth to inhale.
- Chamber: Where the smoke builds and where you put your ice if you're using the ice catcher.
- Ice catcher: Located inside the chamber. When you insert it, make sure that it lines up with the rim within the chamber. This is (in our opinion) the best place to leave your ice.
- Bowl: Where you pack your herb. We recommend a full bowl but don't pack it down too tightly. This can lead to waste, and no one wants that. Note that the bowl is made from glass, not silicone. This means that you can break it.
- Downstem: This is the cylindrical tube that connects your bowl to the base of your silicone bong. Unless you're doing a deep clean, This part of your piece should stay in the same place.
- Suction base: We created a suction base for that extra level of security, i.e. making it even harder to knock off a table. To pick your silicone bong up, break the seal by pulling one side of the suction base up slowly. Then pick the whole piece up.
How to Use This Bong in 9 Steps
The next generation in smoking technology, Hydroponique is actually very easy to use. The following steps ensure the best silicone bong smoking experience possible, according to the experts (i.e. us).
1. Fill It with Water.
Wondering how or where to fill water in a silicone bong? We recommend you completely cover the downstem (i.e. all of its holes are covered). It should, however, be so high as to come out through the bowl. Usually, this ends up being between 1/2" and 1" above the downstem's end, though people may have different preferences.
Is more water better? Not necessarily. It actually can make pulling — the process of breathing from the top of the bong — more difficult. It should be easy to make the water bubble when you pull — and it shouldn't be anywhere near your lips.
2. Add Ice (Not Required but High-ly Recommended)
Adding ice is not necessary, but it can take your silicone bong smoke session to the next level. To add ice, insert the peace sign ice catcher in the chamber and make sure it's lined up with the ring in the chamber. Adding a cube of ice will give your bong a refreshing, cool hit.
3. Clean the Bowl
Repacking? Dump ash into a trash can and use a poker tool (or paperclip) to get any unwanted resin out of the bowl. You want your hit to be as fresh as the last, not all ashy. And the key to a smooth and potent hit is airflow.
4. Grind Up Your Favorite Strain
We recommend using a great weed grinder rather than your hands. This is the best way to preserve the herb's terpenes, i.e. the elements that give your blend its flavor and potency. Grind it up evenly so its light and fluffy. You can also use Hydroponique for CBD flower, if you're so inclined.
5. Loosely Pack Your Silicone Bong’s Bowl Until It’s Full
Padding down the herb so you can fit more in does not amplify your smoking experience. Don't fill it up so much that you lose herb. And whether you're using a silicone bong or a regular glass one, make sure that it's loosely packed so that air can filter through it. If you overpack it, it will be harder to pull through, and therefore your hits will be less potent. You'll also waste herb.
Place Your Bowl Back (if It Isn’t There Already)
Make sure that it's fitted snugly and securely before lighting.
Light Your Silicone Bong’s Bowl While Inhaling
Hold your silicone water pipe in your non-dominant hand while you light the edge of the herb within the bowl. Do this while inhaling from the mouthpiece. Most people hold it by the neck, though this is a matter of preference. If you're new to this, most veteran smokers recommend placing your water pipe on a flat surface. Hydroponique also offers extra security with its suction base.
Make sure that you're placing your lips inside, rather than on the outside, of the mouthpiece. You want to keep it as clean as possible for the next user. Also, make sure that you're only lighting part of the bowl, not the whole thing. This is a common courtesy and ensures that you aren't wasting your herb. Only at the end should you "torch" your silicone bong bowl: light the entire bowl while taking one final hit before repacking.
Remove the Bowl When the Flame Has Caught.
You don't need to light it forever. Once the flame has caught, remove the bowl while you keep inhaling. Some people will breathe deeper to get a more substantial hit, but this is a matter of preference. If the flame is still going after your hit, pass it to a friend while you exhale.
How to Clean Your Silicone Bong
Knowing how to clean a bong is a crucial step for anyone who owns one. Not only does it ensure that you're getting the strongest hit possible, but it's a great way to preserve the flavor (and make sure you're not using old, dirty water for filtration). But knowing how to clean a bong isn't necessarily easy. In many cases, it's hard or next-to-impossible.
Wondering why weed produces certain effects? Check out this terpene chart.
Hydroponique was crafted to make cleaning your bong easy. In other words, it's made from medical-grade silicone and features a glass bowl and stem, all of which are dishwasher safe. Here is how to clean a silicone bong as well as a general guide on how to clean a bong, no matter what it's made from.
How to Clean a Bong in the Dishwasher: 7 Steps
Hydroponique is engineered from medical-grade silicone. Not only do our premium materials make it a smart choice for your health and your blend, but they're also 100% dishwasher safe. To clean your silicone bong using your dishwasher, follow these simple steps:
- Remove the glass bowl.
- Empty your bong of all water over a sink or tub.
- Remove the peace sign ice catcher.
- Remove the downstem. This may take some effort, as it is fitted securely into your Hydroponique.
- Place your water pipe upset down in your dishwasher to ensure maximum cleaning.
- Run your dishwasher on a regular or gentle cycle.
- When the cycle is over, remove your Hydroponique and check that it's clean. Have some resin buildup from extended use? Don't sweat it: run it through the dishwasher again.
How to Clean a Bong using Alcohol
Let's face it: Having a dishwasher is a luxury not all of us have. That doesn't mean that you have to use a dirty water pipe or bring it to a friend's house for cleaning. Here's what you'll need to clean your bong the old fashioned way:
What You'll Need:
- Sea salt: The coarser the better
- Rubbing alcohol: Also known as isopropyl alcohol (contains approximately 70% or more denatured ethanol or isopropanol)
- A towel or rag
- Two bong plugs
- Two big plastic bags
Step 1: Start with Your Silicone Bong's Glass
- Remove your glass bowl and downstem carefully. The downstem will be more challenging to remove as it is fastened securely within your water pipe.
- Place each of these in one of your plastic bags.
- Fill each plastic bag with salt and rubbing alcohol. Use approximately two tablespoons of salt and make sure that there is enough alcohol to completely cover each item.
- Gently shake each to ensure they get a good clean. Be careful that the plastic bag seal does not break and that you do not damage your glass.
- Once you are satisfied with the resin that has loosened from your glass, empty the plastic bags of alcohol and salt.
- Fill your plastic bags with warm water and shake gently.
- When you believe that your glass is clean of salt and alcohol, empty your plastic bags and leave your glass to dry.
Step 2: Use Rubbing Alcohol to Clean Your Bong
- Dump out any old water. We suggest emptying your water pipe every day to prevent murky buildup, but if you haven't gotten rid of old water, now is a good time.
- Put salt into your bong. Make sure that there is enough to coat the base of it.
- Pour a minimum of a quarter of a cup of alcohol into your bong.
- Cover the top and the stem of your pipe with your plugs or something similar. Don't have these? Headshops will have different sizes available and you can also find a water pipe plug online. No matter where you get them, make sure that it is completely sealed. You don't want alcohol, salt, and murky water spilling everywhere.
- Gently shake your pipe. The resin will start to loosen. When you are satisfied with the amount of resin that's floating around and no longer coating the sides of your bong, remove the plugs, and empty the alcohol and salt into the sink.
- Rinse your water pipe in warm water and shake lightly. Repeat until all traces of alcohol and salt are gone.
Now that you know how to clean a bong with alcohol, repeat the process until all the resin is gone. Make sure that you rinse your water pipe thoroughly before use.
How to Deal with Strong Stains and Resin
Not sure that shaking your water pipe with some salt and alcohol will do the trick? If you've waited too long between washes, consider soaking your favorite smoking buddy in some warm water and dish soap to loosen tough-to-remove grit.
Step 1: Fill a Sink or Tub with Warm Water.
Make sure that there is enough to completely submerge your accessory.
Step 2: Add a Few Squirts of Dish Soap to Clean your Bong.
Don't add too much, though. This could leave your water pipe with a soapy film that could affect the quality of your herb and smoking experience.
Step 3: Let Your Silicone Bong Soak for 1-2 Hours.
Mastering how to clean your bong sometimes means giving it time. For anyone trying to clean an especially dirty piece, we recommend letting it soak in soapy warm water for one to two hours.
Step 4: De-Grime Your Silicone Bong Glass Simultaneously.
While your pipe is in the sink, clean your downstem and bowl with alcohol and salt (as described above). Place them in two different plastic bags with enough rubbing alcohol to completely submerge both glass pieces. Then, add a tablespoon of coarse salt, seal the bags, and gently rinse the glass in the salty alcohol mixture.
Let it soak for several minutes. Do this for a few minutes before thoroughly rinsing with warm water so as not to affect your smoke session later on.
Cleaning Nooks and Crannies
Sure, you may get the big chunks out no problem, but how do you get the grime in the nooks and crannies of your favorite piece? We recommend using a pipe cleaner or a cotton swab to carefully clean hard to reach grime. For extra efficacy, add a little rubbing alcohol to get in those tough-to-reach areas.
Meet the Next Generation Silicone Bong
We believe in an age of legalization, of travel, and of premium products at accessible prices. It's time to stop selling for breakable water pipes made from less-than-quality ingredients. Try Hydroponique: the American-made silicone bong that will deliver cool, smooth hits packed with THC. Engineered for tomorrow's smokers.
DISCLAIMER: This content is only appropriate for those over 21 years old.