The Best Weed Strains for Sex, Anxiety, Parties, & More
What are the best weed strains for sex? What about for anxiety and focus? What are considered to be the strongest weed strains in existence? Luckily (and confusingly) for you, you live in a time with the most weed variety in history. But with great power comes great responsibility: Finding the best weed strains is a quest that can last a lifetime.
Be not afeared. Using our silicone water pipe, we’ve smoked our way through many an herbal blend and have identified some of our favorites for sex, anxiety, focus, and potency. Not sure where to start? Check out these popular weed strains before moving on to the deep cuts. Want to distinguish between strains based on more than just color?
Whether you’re looking to mix up your smoke session or are new to our favorite herb, here are the best cannabis strains to spark up.
Disclaimer: The following was written for informational purposes. It is not medical advice. If you have a medical condition or a question or concern, please speak with your medical professional. We’re not doctors.
Most Popular Strains | Best Overall | Best for Sex | Best for Anxiety | Best for Creativity | Best for Socializing | Best for Pain | Best for Nausea | Strongest Weed Strains | Strains by Color | Blue | Purple | White | Colorful | Strains by Flavor | Lemon | Skunky | Strains by Cannabinoid | THC | CBD | CBG | CBN | How Many Strains Are There? | What Is a Hybrid? | Strain Index
10 Most Popular Weed Strains
These varieties are popular for a reason: For starters, they’re the result of years of cannabis breeding — and they have the flavor and potency to prove it. For newer smokers looking to deepen their knowledge, the likes of Gorilla Glue, Girl Scout Cookies, and Blue Dream are an excellent place to start.
*Click on the strains to jump to their specific sections*
- Wedding Cake
- Gorilla Glue
- Blue Dream
- Purple Punch
- Ice Cream Cake
- Girl Scout Cookies
- Northern Lights
- Cherry Pie
How should I smoke them? If you’re looking for maximum flavor and power, smoke these most popular weed strains with a Hydroponique silicone bong. Not only will the medical-grade silicone ensure that your herb remains unpolluted, but it’s engineered to pack a punch.
One of the best weed strains, Lemon Meringue is great later in the evening.
Best Weed Strains for Sex
We’re just going to come out and say it: weed is great for sex, especially for women. But couch lock will do you no favors (neither will getting wicked baked). In other words, high-THC is your friend.
Keep in mind that when it comes to the best cannabis strains for sex, less is more. You can always smoke up after.
- Wedding Cake to rev up your sex drive
- Thai to relieve stress
- Lemon Meringue for energy
- Amnesia Haze for keeping it calm
- Skywalker OG for feeling less self-conscious
- Blue Dream for a confidence boost
- Super Lemon Haze to kick things up a notch
- Sour Diesel to feel everything more
Should you consider indica vs sativa on your quest to find the best weed strains for sex? Maybe. New research shows that terpene content may matter more than the sativa and indica dichotomy. The best way to find out is to try a few different strains and see what works for you and your partner.
Should You Smoke or Eat the Best Weed Strains for Sex?
Probably not, considering their potency and tendency to kick in at different times for different people. Fun fact: the more estrogen someone has in their body, the more potent THC may be. This means that women may experience cannabis — and specifically edibles — stronger than men, especially during different times of the month.
Also, things can get very intense with edibles… and feeling their effects can be a slow process. Proceed with caution.
Best Weed Strains for Anxiety & Relaxation
Cannabis has different effects on everyone. In fact, its effects on you may evolve over time. In other words, some of the best weed strains for anxiety may produce the opposite effect on others.
As a rule of thumb, varieties that are high in CBD are considered best for anxiety. By contrast, THC-prevalent blends, which may produce a head-high, may worsen anxious feelings. With that in mind, here are a few high-cannabidiol strains to check out.
- Canna-Tsu: This gentle variety can produce feelings of peace — rather than a full-on couch-lock. Canna-Tsu contains virtually equal THC and CBD.
- Granddaddy Purple: Though the Granddaddy is THC-dominant, many find it euphoric and incredible for relaxation.
- Remedy: A CBD-dominant strain, Remedy, as its name would suggest, is one of the best weed strains for anxiety thanks to the airiness it produces.
- ACDC: Despite its name, ACDC is a CBD-dominant variety that may help you relax.
Of course, none of this is medical advice. Please speak with a doctor if you believe that you suffer from anxiety.
Best Weed Strains for Creativity
Cannabis can be a great creativity booster — just ask Willie Nelson, Bob Marley, Jerry Garcia, Madonna, and pretty much every musician ever. But this isn’t just dorm room talk: research suggests that the herb elevates creativity (specifically verbal fluency).
The typical answer for which weed strain makes you the most creative is: Look for a THC. Here are a few of our favorite strains to get the mind rolling.
- Chem Dog: Great for an energetic, creative high.
- Purple Haze: There’s a good reason why Jimi Hendrix was such a fan.
- Sour Diesel: A sativa-dominant ideal for enlivening cerebral effects.
- Jillibean: Boost your mood and relax while feeling super creative.
- Space Queen: Aptly named, it will transport you to a different planet.
- Jack Herer: Get motivated, like Jack Herer himself.
Our Favorite Creativity Booster
We love a little Cherry Pie when drawing, watching a movie, or writing (perhaps even this article). It can also be great socially.
Cons: Cotton-mouth is in your future with this one.
Best Weed Strains for Euphoria
Euphoric feelings are one of the top reasons why people smoke cannabis, so why not enjoy their full effect? If you're looking for a smoke session full of laughter, check out the following.
- Purple Queen: As suggested by its name, Purple Queen is a beauty. With over 20% THC, this is one of the best weed strains for euphoria — sitting on the couch and laughing, in other words.
- Euphoria: Named for its effects, Euphoria is a great choice for feeling alive and well. Choose this variety for expeditions into nature.
- OG Kush: This indica-dominant variety will make you smile. Check out OG Kush for a relaxed, enjoyable high.
- White Widow: This Amsterdam favorite will produce mental and physical effects and a general sense of wellbeing.
- Pineapple Kush: A floaty strain with a fruity flavor profile. Pineapple Kush is one of the best weed strains for euphoria — and making edibles.
- Sour Diesel: Laugh the day away with this classic, high-THC variety that borders on therapeutic.
Best Weed Strains for Stress
Relax, bro, with these cannabis blends for reducing stress. For many smokers, weed is one of the top ways to relax — and these are some of the best strains for doing just that.
- Girl Scout Cookies: A potent variety that packs a bunch, Girl Scout Cookies is great for the end of a long day and reducing physical and mental stress.
- Black Cherry Soda: A hybrid with lots of limonene, Black Cherry Soda is virtually a sedative — with a great, fruity flavor
- Tahoe OG: This indica-forward blend is best used at night because of its strong body high. Be prepared to fall asleep.
- Wedding Cake: One of the best weed strains for stress relief and euphoria, this sweet, relaxing variety may help you sleep and eat, too.
Pro Tip: The best weed strains for stress are high in limonene — a terpene that you’ll find in citrus that’s well-known for its relaxing properties.
Best Weed Strains for Socializing
Nothing is worse than sparking up at a party only to have anxiety and couch-lock set in in the wrong venue. Luckily, you can avoid unwanted anxiety and sleepiness with these energizing varieties.
- Orange Bud: Dope for socializing without feeling too stressed, this one will keep you upbeat but not manic.
- Banana Kush: Be ready for a gentle, talkative buzz and the delicious scent of bananas.
- Tangie: Transport yourself to Amsterdam with Tangie, a classic weed strain for socializing anywhere.
- Cheese Strain: Great for reducing social anxiety and promoting euphoria without overdoing it.
- Blue Dream: One of the best weed strains for parties that has an energizing effect. Not great for sleeping
The key to socializing with cannabis is to understand yourself. If you experience feelings of anxiety, a sativa may amplify them whereas an indica may help. However, sativas are known to be more energizing, which could put you in more of a partying mood. Above all, know thyself.
Best Weed Strains for Productivity
Similarly to creativity-boosting varieties, these productive blends will help you avoid couch-lock and sleepiness — not great for writing your magnum opus.
- Super Lemon Haze: A classic sativa for energizing and some euphoria without overdoing it. Serenity with productivity.
- Durban Poison: Originally from Durban, South Africa, this variety typically produces uplifting feelings and focus but beware: effects vary widely between people.
- Tropicana Cookies: A dark purple hybrid, Tropicana Cookies is one of the best weed strains for productivity because it produces a buzz — great for getting it done.
- Sour Diesel: A classic for a reason, this blend usually produces some euphoria and energizing effects.
Best Medicinal Varieties for Pain
People have been using cannabis for pain management for centuries. Applications range from reducing soreness, inflammation, cramps, and illness or treatment-related pain, especially for cancer and AIDS patients.
Disclaimer: The following is not medical advice. If you are experiencing pain, suffering from a serious condition, or have a question or concern, speak with a medical professional.
- Harlequin: Pain-relief without going to sleep
- Northern Lights: Relaxation (and couch-lock)
- Bubba Kush: Sleeping
- Master Kush: Sleeping (and super potent)
- ACDC: Best of both worlds (CBD and THC)
What Makes Some Weed Strains Better for Discomfort?
Some suggest that weed with a balance of THC and CBD is most effective, rather than looking for THC dominance. This is thanks to a phenomenon known as the entourage effect. In short, the entourage effect postulates that weed may be more potent when its cannabinoids and terpenes exist side-by-side rather than in artificial isolation (ex: CBD distillate).
How to Smoke Weed Strains for Pain
The most effective way to use cannabis for pain management depends on the person and the type of discomfort. For example, some use topicals for muscle cramps or other physical injuries. Edibles may provide longer-lasting, but slower activating, pain management. Smoking your favorite weed strain is a great way to feel its effects immediately, though they’re shorter-lasting.
- Smoking and vaping: Faster
- Dabbing: Fast and extremely potent
- Edibles: Longer-lasting
- Topicals: Localized
Like enjoying your favorite weed strain recreationally, the best way to use medicinal cannabis depends on personal preference and desired outcome.
Best Strains for Nausea
One of the many amazing properties of our favorite plant is its ability to curb nausea. For many, medical cannabis is a go-to solution for effective nausea treatment, whether it’s illness-related or habitual.
- Northern Lights may also help with pain and insomnia.
- Blue Dream, which may boosts appetite.
- Sour Diesel, a nausea classic.
- Durban Poison could also help with migraines.
- Lemon Haze (and Super Lemon Haze) may also reduce dizziness.
- Blueberry Diesel, a mix of Sour Diesel and Blueberry, it’s also very relaxing.
- Jack Herer, which is known in Amsterdam coffeeshops for its medical properties.
Best Weed Strains for Weight Loss
Yes — some people do use cannabis for weight loss despite its reputation. Did you know that weed smokers are, on average, a slimmer population than non-smokers?
Typically, the cannabinoid THCV is responsible for appetite suppression. Research published in the Journal of Cannabis Research suggests that THCV increases feelings of fullness and improves energy regulation.
The terpene humulene may also reduce appetite. It’s also found in sage and ginseng.
Here are a few of the best weed strains for weight control only to be used responsibly.
- Willie Nelson: In fact, this strain was bred to have high THCV content, making it a great choice.
- Jack the Ripper: An energizing blend with visual stimulation that can also reduce appetite.
- Girl Scout Cookies: This favorite strain is extremely high in THC. Not only may it reduce pain and anxiety, but it doesn’t give smokers the infamous munchies.
- Tangie: One of the best strains for weight loss due to its energizing and appetite-reducing effects.
The 6 Strongest Weed Strains
Looking for a blend that really packs a punch? Grab your Hydroponique pipe and proceed with caution:
- Grease Monkey: With over 30% THC content, Grease Monkey is not to be trifled with. This variation is known for producing euphoria and a physical high.
- Blue Walker: Aptly named, this strong sativa will leave you with calming effects for hours. Has THC in the high 20th percentile.
- Maui Wowie: Creative, euphoria-boosting and tropical in flavor, Maui Wowie boosts creativity and energy.
- Durban Kush: Another one of the strongest weed strains for euphoric effects, Durban Kush may relieve nausea and pain, too.
- The White: A great strain for cross-breeding potency, The white is known for its bud color — you guessed it: white — and relaxing effects.
- The Death Star: Not to be trifled with, this blend will produce strong, psychoactive effects.
A Note About THC Content
The beauty of cannabis is its variety. This means that THC content — the cannabinoid thought to be responsible for a strain’s strength — varies within a strain depending on the plant, its age, its lineage and how you smoke it.
Fun fact: You’ll experience more of a high if you smoke from a bong — like this USA-made silicone bong.
5 Iconic Blue Weed Strains
Blue blends have been iconic since the ’70s and can vary from a deep blue to a slight tint. If you’re looking for a blue strain, many will indicate it in their name.
The ‘blue’ typically comes from indica genetics. A blend’s blue hue depends on growing conditions: those grown outdoors and exposed to cold tend to have more vivid shades.
A few iconic blue weed strains include:
- Blueberry: A High Times Cannabis Cup winner from 2000, Blueberry is famed for its intensely calming effects and potential for pain relief.
- Blue Mystic: Combine Northern Lights and Blueberry genetics and you get Blue Mystic — a potent, body-high blend with a distinctive blue color.
- Blue Dream: This creativity-boosting variety is a sativa-dominant genetic variety of Blueberry. It’s commonly used in medical cannabis for its effects on pain and nausea.
- Blue Dream CBD: A genetic variation of Blue Dream engineered for high cannabidiol content — uplifting and therapeutic.
- Blueberry Diesel: This blue weed strain combines Blueberry and Sour Diesel for a therapeutic high.
8 Famous Purple Varieties to Know
There are several things that can make a strain purple — including genetics, exposure to cold air especially when grown outside, and LED lights, which may help emphasize color. Some “purp” is vivid purple; others are green flecked with violet. Again, look for references to purple to find the best purple weed strains.
- Grandaddy Purple: Otherwise known as GDP, Granddaddy Purple is one of the most famous strains for a reason: It’s gorgeous. This Indica is great for nighttime relaxation.
- Purple Haze: Jimi Hendrix knew what he was doing. Purple Haze is a euphoric sativa that will leave you feeling good throughout the day, ’60s style.
- Obama Kush: Named after one of America’s most 420-friendly presidents, Obama Kush produces mental and physical effects.
- Grape Ape: Get ready for couch-lock with this delicious, indica-heavy strain that’s often used to mediate chronic pain.
- Purple Urkle: One of the best purple weed strains for sleeping and full-body relaxation — all with a fruity flavor.
- Purple Skunk: Great for active thoughts, this sativa will boost creativity and produce upbeat effects.
- Sour Grape: Aptly named for its flavor, Sour Grape is the best of both: part-relaxing indica, part-elevating sativa.
- Purple Kush: Sometimes named one of the strongest weed strains, Purple Kush is a great ‘thinking’ variety for a euphoric and contemplative head high.
Similar to blue strains, purple tends to be indica-dominant, meaning that they’re relaxing and produce a body — rather than a head — high. Stronger color doesn’t necessarily mean that a variety is “better”; It all depends on the effects you’re looking for.
4 White Cannabis Strains
The White is actually a variety known for having an unusual lack of flavor and smell — great for surreptitious smoking. But it’s only one of several white weed strains. Others include:
- White Widow: An Amsterdam classic, this is one of the best weed strains because it offers a mild euphoria that isn’t too indica dominant.
- White Russian: A combination of White Widow and AK-47, White Russian clocks in at around 22% THC and is known for making you sleepy and hungry.
- Snow White: A classic Indica provides a classic stoned feeling. Plus, it’s gorgeous.
- Critical White: A hybrid weed strain, this one tastes like a lemon candy flavor and comes with a signature sweet scent.
7 Colorful Varieties to Make You Smile
Cannabis isn’t just blue, purple or white — it can be all of the above and more. Here are a few classically photogenic colorful varieties for when looks really do matter.
- Black Russian: A silky smooth indica that uplifts before lulling you to sleep, Black Russian may ease your aches and pains and put you in a restful state. Plus, it’s a jaw-dropping combination of various shades of purple, red, and, of course, green.
- Acapulco Gold: This strong sativa is an alluring gold color with a heady high — great for getting ‘er done with 20% THC.
- Rainbow Kush: You guess it. This tropical-flavored variety is as brightly colored as they come and offers uplifting, good vibes to boot.
- Blueberry Cheesecake: It’s all in the name here. This is one of the best weed strains for color thanks to its intriguing orange, blue and violet accents. Enjoy its focus-enhancing THC content.
- Purple Urkle: Orange, violet, and skunky as heck, Purple Urkle is a classic pain-relief and sleep-inducing strain for those in need of a relaxing indica.
- Pinkman Goo: Not only does this variety have a ridiculous pink/purple tint, but it’s known for its large resin droplets.
- Panama-Sedena Red: Almost berry-like in color, this jaw-dropping colorful weed strain offers the properties of a sativa with annoying long flowering cycles.
Best Weed Strain Index
Everything you would want to know about the blends mentioned above.
Wedding Cake: A Popular Weed Strain
Typically described as mood-boosting, Wedding Cake is one of the most popular varieties because of its elevating properties. Wedding Cake is a genetic cross between Girl Scout Cookies and Cherry Pie. It gets its name through its flavor profile, which is likened to a creamy cake.
- Effects: This high-THC strain is typically euphoric and calming
- Flavors: Herbal and lemon-y
- THC Content: 25% (high THC content)
- CBD Content: Less than 1%
- Terpenes: Limonene, myrcene
See our terpene chart for more information.
Gelato: A Blend for Creativity
Gelato is often described as sweet and citrus with notes of lavender. Gelato can produce creative focus. It is also known for its stabilizing properties. Some use it to reduce inflammation and chronic.
- Effects: May produce a sense of creative euphoria
- Flavors: Sweet, berry, citrus
- THC Content: 20%
- CBD Content: Less than 1%
- Terpenes: Limonene, caryophyllene
Gorilla Glue: Body High
Also known as Gorilla Glue #4, this iconic weed strain is world-famous for high THC content and body high. A great, euphoric way to end the day, though beware of couch lock (hence the “glue”).
- Effects: Relaxxxx, and don't be surprised if you experience cotton mouth
- Flavors: Not known to have the strongest flavor (but smells sour or diesel-like)
- THC Content: 26% (can even be over 30%)
- CBD Content: Less than 0.1%
- Terpenes: Caryophyllene
Blue Dream: A Classic Indica
This hybrid is famous for its sweet, fruity aroma and full-on body high. It is not ideal for falling asleep; instead, use it during the day or socially.
- Effects: Relaxing yet energizing body high
- Flavors: Aptly named after berries, Blue Dream also has notes of floral and citrus (it’s a cross of Blueberry and Haze weed strains)
- THC Content: 20%
- CBD Content: 0.2%
Purple Punch: One of the Best Weed Strains for Sleep
This indica-dominant variety tastes a little like Kool-Aid. If you’re looking for strong, cerebral effects and some sedation, Purple Punch (which is as strong as its name suggests) is the way to go. May put you to sleep, depending on your disposition, and may put you in a better mood.
- Effects: Cerebral, sedating, mood-elevating
- Flavors: Kool-Aid, berry, grape
- THC Content: usually 15%
- CBD Content: 1%
- Terpenes: Caryophyllene, limonene, pinene
Ice Cream Cake: Couch-Lock and Euphoria
This aptly-named cross between Wedding Cake and Gelato has the cheesyness and sweetness of its parent strains. Get ready for euphoria and some couch lock.
- Effects: Calming, mood-boosting
- Flavors: Sweet, Creamy, Cheesy
- THC Content: 20% or more
- CBD Content: n/a
- Terpenes: Limonene, caryophyllene, linalool
Mimosa: An Energizing Variety
Named after the iconic vacation/weekend drink, Mimosa is great for relaxing infused with euphoria. It may also be an effective pain reliever or energizer for those suffering from fatigue.
- Effects: Energizing, relaxing, euphoria
- Flavors: Sour, Orange
- THC Content: 20%
- CBD Content: Less than 1%
- Terpenes: Myrcene, pinene, limonene
Girl Scout Cookies: A Classic
A hybrid of Durban Poison and OG Kush, Girl Scout Cookies is known for it’s sweetness and euphoria. It also may produce the munchies and sedate you. A great weed strain for relieving stress at the end of the day.
- Effects: Sedating, appetite-stimulating, euphoria, stress-relief
- Flavors: Earthy, sweet
- THC Content: 27% (very high)
- CBD Content: 1%
- Terpenes: Caryophyllene, limonene, humulene
Northern Lights: Sedating, Munchie-Inducing
This indica is known for producing sleepiness and stimulating appetite. If you’re looking to relax — on the couch and with some chocolate — this could be the variety for you.
- Effects: Relaxing, sedating, appetite-stimulating
- Flavors: Earthy and sweet
- THC Content: 25%
- CBD Content: n/a
- Terpenes: Myrcene, Caryophyllene, Limonene
Cherry Pie: A Weed Strain for Creativity
A great head-high, Cherry Pie may boost your mood and inspire creativity. One of the best weed strains for focus, also great socially. Expect some cotton mouth.
- Effects: Mood-boosting, creative, focusing
- Flavors: Cherry, sweet, sour
- THC Content: 20%
- CBD Content: less than 1%
- Terpenes: Myrcene, caryophyllene, pinene
The Best Weed Strains According to the Us
Cannabis has never been more varied — or delicious. But knowing where to start or what to try next can be struggle. One way is to think about the effects you’re looking to experience. Relaxation at the end of the day? Inspiring creative work? Socializing with friends? Relieving pain? There are weed strains that may produce all these effects and more.